Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Nautilus - where are my backup files ?

Some nice editors create a backup file with the extension *.*~
But it would also be nice, if you could see them in the file browser. But this isn't the case.
I tried the option "View/Show hidden files", but that showed me only the files starting with a dot.
The only solution to show your backup files is to open the settings dialog and check the option "Show hidden files and backup files". But that isn't a solution you can live with because you do not want to see your hidden files every time you open a browser.

I search the web for a solution and i found a setting which seems to solve my problem.
gconftool-2 -s -t bool /desktop/gnome/file_views/show_backup_files true

But it doesn't work. Later i have found out that this is an unsolved bug from 2005!! (http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=313307).

No comments: